INN::Config Perl module

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Sep 17 10:53:38 UTC 2007

En réponse à Russ Allbery :
>> * I have created trunk/lib/perl/INN/Config.pm.in (Config.pm
>>   is generated at configure time) and trunk/lib/perl/Makefile;
>>   a configure option --with-libperl-dir (=${libdir}/perl by
>>   default) allows to change the install directory (in case
>>   some packages will want to put INN::Config with all the
>>   other Perl modules).  Is that OK?
>
> I would create a separate top-level perl directory instead of lib/perl to
> keep the directory nesting from getting too extreme, but otherwise that
> seems okay to me.

All right.
For both the SVN and the final installation directory?

> There are two different approaches you can take with installing the
> modules: do it ourselves with a configure option, or hook a Makefile.PL
> into the configure system.

Let's begin in a simple way (configure option and copy when "make install").
The module as it is now is fairly basic (perhaps lame for Perl gurus like
you) since it only consists in declaring "our $newsbin = ..." and allowing
its export if claimed.
I have not documented it (with an embedded POD in the module) because there
is not much to say right now and maybe the definitive implementation of
INN::Config will change.  But it will be good to document innshellvars*
and INN::Config within it to have a decent man page.

> My only worry is that we may want to keep a stub innshellvars.pl around
> that exports the same information as the current one for external programs
> that use it outside of INN.  I think there may be several of those.

So let's keep innshellvars.pl for backward compatibility.  I will add
a disclaimer at the beginning of the file to say that INN::Config should
be used.
But innshellvars.pl will not be used by fixscript.

> I'm not sure.  Ideally we should probably probe for uustat in configure.ac
> so that code actually does something.  It's somewhat useful code.  (I'm
> not sure have_uustat would be the best variable to set, though.  I'd
> rather set uustat to the path to uustat or undef if it's not found and
> make decisions based on that.)

OK.  That's the wisest thing to do.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« L'amour, c'est comme les maths : ça commence par un Bézout et ça finit par un Gauß. »