INN 2.4.4 RC with bindaddress per peer

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Apr 26 09:48:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

> We have now to decide whether this is the last RC or if a third one which
> reverts the changes mentioned by Miquel in innfeed/connection.c should be
> published.

Revision 7799 will be the third INN 2.4.4 release candidate.
Perhaps it is now "the good time to send out a draft of the release announcement
for proof-reading", according to the release schedule.

Here is what I suggest, following what was posted for INN 2.4.3:

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] INN 2.4.4 available

Internet Systems Consortium is pleased to announce that a new bug-fix
release of INN is available at:

    ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/inn/inn-2.4.4.tar.gz

The MD5 checksum of this release is:

    2c549034f0793d727268da926842d738

A PGP signature and a patch from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4 are available in the same
directory.

This is a bug-fix release over 2.4.3.  Upgrading an existing INN 2.4.3
installation is as simple as building INN 2.4.4, running make update, and
restarting innd and related programs.

Changes from 2.4.3 to 2.4.4

    * Fixed incomplete checking of packet sizes in the ctlinnd interface in
      the no-Unix-domain-sockets case.  This is a potential buffer overflow
      in dead code since basically all systems INN builds on support Unix
      domain sockets these days.  Also track the buffer size more correctly
      in the client side of this interface for the Unix domain socket case.

    * Group blocks in incoming.conf are now correctly parsed and no longer
      cause segfaults when loading this file.

    * Fixed a problem with innfeed continuously segfaulting on amd64
      hardware (and possibly on lots of 64-bit platforms).  Many thanks to
      Ollivier Robert for his patch and also to Kai Gallasch for having
      reported the problem and provided the FreeBSD server to debug it.

    * scanlogs now rotates innfeed's log file, which prevents innfeed from
      silently dying when its log file reaches 2 GB.

    * Some news clients hang when posting an article through a SSL
      connection: it seems that nnrpd's SSL routines make it wrongly wait
      for data completion.  In order to fix the problem, the select() wait
      is now just bypassed.  However, the IDLE timer stat is currently not
      collected for such connections.  Thanks to Kachun Lee for this
      workaround.

    * Fixed a bug in the display of the used compressor ("cunbatch" was used
      if arguments were passed to gzip or bzip2).

    * Fixed a bug in mailpost and pullnews which prevented useful error
      messages to be seen.  Also add the -x flag to pullnews in order to
      insert Xref: headers in articles which lack one.

    * If compiling with Berkeley DB, use its ndbm compatibility layer for
      ckpasswd in preference to searching for a traditional dbm library.
      INN also supports Berkeley DB 4.4 and Berkeley DB 4.6 thanks to Marco
      d'Itri.

    * ovdb_init now properly closes stdin/out/err when it becomes a daemon.
      The issue was reported by Viktor Pilpenok and fixed by Marco d'Itri.

    * Added support for Diablo quickhash and hashfeed algorithms.  It allows
      to distribute the messages among several peers (new Q flag for
      newsfeeds).  Thanks to Miquel van Smoorenburg for this implementation
      in INN.

    * innd now listen on separate sockets for IPv4 and IPv6 connections if
      the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option is available.  There might also be
      operating systems that still have separate IPv4 and IPv6 TCP
      implementations, and advanced features like TCP SACK might not be
      available on v6 sockets.  Thanks to Miquel van Smoorenburg for this
      patch.

    * The two configuration options *bindaddress* and *bindaddress6* can now
      be set on a per-peer basis for innfeed.  Setting *bindaddress6* to
      "none" tells innfeed to never attempt an IPv6 connection to that host.
      Thanks to Miquel van Smoorenburg for this patch.

    * Added a *nnrpdflags* parameter to inn.conf (modeled on the concept of
      *innflags*) to permit passing of command line arguments to instances
      of nnrpd spawned from innd.

    * A new inn.conf parameter called *pathcluster* has been added: it
      allows to append a common name to the Path: header on all incoming
      articles.  *pathhost* and *pathalias* (if set) are still appended to
      the path as usual, but *pathcluster* is always appended as the last
      element (e.g. on the leftmost side of the Path: header).  Thanks to
      Miquel van Smoorenburg for this feature.

    * simpleftp has been rewritten to use "Net::FTP".  Indeed, ftp.pl is no
      longer shipped with Perl 5 and the script did not work.

    * perl-nocem will now check for a timeout and re-open the socket if
      required.  Additionally, perl-nocem will switch to cancel_ctlinnd in
      case cancel_nntp fails after sending the Message-ID.  Thanks to
      Christoph Biedl for the patch.  A more detailed documentation has also
      been written for perl-nocem(8).

    * The RADIUS configuration is now wrapped in a "server {}" block in
      radius.conf.

    * Checkgroups when there is nothing to change no longer result in
      sending a blank mail to administrators.  Besides, no mail is sent by
      controlchan for the creation of a newsgroup when the action is "no
      change".

    * Checkgroups are now properly propagated even though the news server
      does not carry the groups they are posted to.

    * controlchan and docheckgroups now handle wire format messages so that
      articles from the spool can be directly fed to them.

    * Newgroup control messages for existing groups now change their
      description.  If a mail is sent to administrators, it reminds them to
      update their newsgroups file.  It also warns when there are missing or
      obsolete descriptions.  Furthermore, the newsgroups file is now
      written prettier (from one to three tabulations between the name of
      the group and its short description) and to.* groups cannot be
      created.

    * The sample control.ctl file has been extensively updated.

    * Fixed empty LISTGROUP replies which were not terminated.  Thanks to
      David Canzi for the patch.

      assume it is not maintained and return 503 instead of 215 and an empty
      file.  Moreover, capability to LIST ACTIVE.TIMES for a wildmat pattern
      as its third argument has been added in order to select wanted
      newsgroups.

    * inews now tries to authenticate if it does not receive a 200 return
      code after MODE READER.  Indeed, it might be able to post even with a
      201 return code and also with another codes like 440 or 480.

    * If creating a new history file, set the ownership and mode
      appropriately.  inncheck also expects fewer things to be private to
      the news user.  Most of the configuration files will never contain
      private information like passwords.

    * Other minor bug fixes and documentation improvements.

Please submit all bug reports to <inn-bugs at isc.org>.  Please send all
patches to <inn-patches at isc.org>.