HDR and OVER

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Aug 23 17:24:15 UTC 2008

> I see that HDR and OVER are (exactly?) our current XHDR and XOVER commands.
> (OVER would then be without the capability OVER MSGID.)

I'm fairly sure that we don't implement the protocol exactly as specified,
although I don't remember now what the problem was.  There was some reason
why we weren't providing HDR and OVER, though.  Note the comment:

/*
**  XHDR and XPAT extensions.  Note that HDR as specified in the new NNTP
**  draft works differently than XHDR has historically, so don't just use this
**  function to implement it without reviewing the differences.
*/

It needs a careful review, particularly in edge cases and error codes,
before we advertise it as HDR or OVER.

> Have the four commands XHDR, XOVER, HDR and OVER?

That's the right approach in the long run, with the appropriate responses
in CAPABILITIES.

> If yes, should the four commands appear in HELP?  What for CAPABILITIES?
> (Should it return XHDR and XOVER?)

CAPABILITIES should only list documented extensions.  XHDR and XOVER
aren't documented extensions, just legacy commands.  But yes, they should
all be listed in help.