AUTHINFO SIMPLE and PASS

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Aug 25 21:50:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

nnrpd currently supports

    AUTHINFO SIMPLE user password

but the way it is implemented is not documented in RFC 2980.
It is normally something bad, NNTP speaking:

    AUTHINFO SIMPLE
    350
    user password

Furthermore, RFC 2980 says:

   It is recommended that this command not be implemented, but use
   either or both of the other forms of AUTHINFO if such functionality
   if required.

Therefore, I wonder whether support for AUTHINFO SIMPLE should be kept.
(Yes, I know, I already asked for other commands but this one is
undocumented the way it works with INN.)

Another question:

    AUTHINFO PASS password
    281

currently works with innd.
Should we enforce the use of AUTHINFO USER before?
I think it should because this direct authentication is not specified.
But it might break something with other servers which authenticate
this way(?)

RFC 3977 allows that for AUTHINFO USER:

    AUTHINFO USER user
    281

but well, *this* would break the communication between news servers
so we should not switch to it I assume.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le cerveau est un merveilleux organe. Il démarre
  au moment où vous vous levez et ne s'arrête
  qu'au moment où vous arrivez au bureau. » (Robert Frost)