UTF-8 encoding in replies

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Aug 28 05:27:37 UTC 2008

Hi,

What is the proper way to "clean up" the (unfortunate) input of the user?
I especially mean INN_VERSION_STRING.  The news administrator can put
non US-ASCII characters in that string, and encode it in something
which is not UTF-8.
Therefore, it breaks the proper encoding of the banner:

  200 server InterNetNews NNRP server ${INN_VERSION_STRING} ready (posting ok).

and will also break this CAPABILITIES line:

  IMPLEMENTATION ${INN_VERSION_STRING}

I see that Message-IDs do not allow non US-ASCII characters so when
the Message-ID is answered in a few NNTP replies, there is no problem.
Also no problem for the answer of LIST NEWSGROUPS, BODY, etc. because
no specific encoding has to be applied.

But how can we handle ${INN_VERSION_STRING}?  There might be other
problems like the reason given to the server when paused or throttled,
which is answered back by innd when issuing MODE READER.

Unless we do not care at all not to send UTF-8 in those cases?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le temps, c'est des sesterces. » (Coquelus)