UTF-8 encoding in replies

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Aug 28 06:22:51 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

>>  200 server InterNetNews NNRP server ${INN_VERSION_STRING} ready (posting ok).
>>
>> and will also break this CAPABILITIES line:
>>
>>  IMPLEMENTATION ${INN_VERSION_STRING}
>
> Well, to some extent it's the fault of the administrator who did that

Right!

> version=`echo "$1" | tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9.,;_ -'`
> extra=`echo "$2" | tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9.,;_ -'`

It will also remove correctly UTF-8-encoded strings (which are allowed).
And I believe "iconv" cannot be used because everybody does not have it...

I also see that we have to cut the display of ${INN_VERSION_STRING}
in the answers because the administrator can put a very long string.
It can be done during the printf() reply.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Nous voyageons plus vite que la lumière !
  -- Alors comment y voir clair dans tout ça ? » (Astérix)