LIST commands

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 22 22:19:31 UTC 2008

> The following three commands
>  LIST ACTIVE.TIMES
>  LIST DISTRIB.PATS
>  LIST NEWSGROUPS
> only return the contents of the relevant file (without comments for
> distrib.pats).
>
> Should we return only valid lines (with the right number of arguments
> for instance), that is to say dropping lines which contain only a
> newsgroup name or begin with a space for LIST NEWSGROUPS?
>
> (Other LIST commands are not (yet) standardized in an RFC.)

I think it's a nice quality of implementation improvement that would
protect news administrators from themselves, although it isn't strictly
necessary (malformatted lines are a problem with the local configuration
and not really with the server).

Ideally, inncheck should also check those files for any invalid lines so
that the administrator has a chance to learn about them and fix them.