INN with SSL encryption

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Feb 28 09:49:35 UTC 2008

Hi Jeff,

> For clients that use the old-fashioned port 563, you may need to have your
> server listening (either using `nnrpd -D` or inetd/xinetd).

"Old-fashioned"?
I saw one of your mail on that subject:

    http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/ietf-nntp/2005-June/005567.html

Do you think that using port 563 should be discouraged?

> If you compiled INN with OpenSSL support, then clients should already be
> able to access encryption if they know how to use the STARTTLS command.

I have just tried and unfortunately neither Outlook Express/Windows Mail
nor Thunderbird currently know how to use STARTTLS with NNTP (but with POP
and SMTP, they do).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quel prodige ! Rien qu'en vous voyant, les pirates
  refusent le combat et coulent leur propre navire ! » (Astérix)