Corrupted double-linked list (nnrpd, Python, innconfval)

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jul 5 09:30:21 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

>> 19:27 news at news ~/bin/filter% telnet localhost 1190
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 502 Internal Error (7).  Goodbye
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Okay, so that fixed a bug, but not the bug, which is that nnrpd is
> refusing to start.

I have just checked what happens with Perl hooks and the behaviour is
the same:  if the Perl script is bad, nnrpd also says "Internal Error".

Note that there are three kinds of such internal errors:

 * function not defined;
 * function which dies;
 * bad return of the function.

Anyway, this return is in the code so it is normal that nnrpd is
refusing to start:

    /* Exit if access method is not defined. */
    syslog(L_ERROR, "python access method not defined");
    Reply("%d Internal Error (7).  Goodbye\r\n", NNTP_ERR_ACCESS);
    ExitWithStats(1, true);

Another possible behaviour would be:

Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
502 You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye.

Is it better to answer that?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Je n'aime pas être chez moi. À tel point que lorsque je vais chez quelqu'un