Perl module with Makefiles

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jun 7 07:55:30 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

>> I think doc/man/INN::Config.3pm should be the name of the man page,
>> shouldn't it?  Then, how is it possible to do that within perl/Makefile?
>
> The best way to do this is to have ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build do
> it, since it knows things like which extension to use on a given system.

The problem with that is the fact that INN currently does not require
the end user to generate his man pages.
Everything has already been generated by pod2man in doc/man and is
copied during the installation (and not regenerated by a mere "make build"
on a snapshot or a release).

If a man page is generated by Module::Build for snapshots and releases,
it will not have the right extension for every system (.3 or .3pm for instance).
It should then be generated at build time (hoping that Pod::Man works well
on that system since Pod::Man is called by Module::Build, which puts the
man page in the blib subdirectory, waiting for installation).

> But for our purposes, it's probably okay to run pod2man by hand.

Maybe it is currently the best thing to do owing to the above reasons.
Unless you see something else that can be done with Module::Build?

>> make complains he does not find what to do with
>> ../doc/man/INN\:\:Config.3pm...  And if I write "::" instead if "\:\:",
>> the MAN line is wrong.
>
> Yeah, the colons are going to cause make all sorts of heartburn and I'm
> not sure that non-GNU make can even deal with them at all.  It might be
> easier to generate the man page under some other name and rename it to
> INN::Config.3pm upon installation.

All right.  Will ".3pm" work on every system? (instead of ".3")

--
Julien ÉLIE

« A man who is not married is incomplete; a man who is married is finished. »