--with-* vs. path*

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 11 05:11:48 UTC 2008

Ivan Shmakov <oneingray at gmail.com> writes:

> 	Actually, I don't see the point of hardcoding a bunch of
> 	directory names into the INN binaries.  Considering that I'm
> 	somewhat interested in running several INN instances, it's also
> 	error-prone to have defaults matching one configuration, but not
> 	the others.

The Autoconf flags are used almost entirely to set defaults in inn.conf
and everything else mostly gets the paths from there.  (There are a few
exceptions, but not too many, and most of them are bugs that we could fix
with more or less effort.)

> 	Since the whole set of paths is configurable at run-time, the
> 	only location that needs to be set at the .../configure time is
> 	that (the default) of inn.conf.

Yeah, this is largely what happens.

However, we still need to know what to put into the generated inn.conf.

> 	For the rest, the policy is then to be as follows:
>
> 	* every other location should be set in inn.conf;
>
> 	* an error is signalled at run-time if a directory required to
> 	  perform an operation is not set.

There are reasonable defaults for nearly all of the paths relative to the
root path in inn.conf, which is required.