Some interesting stuff from PLD

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon May 5 19:02:00 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

(And thanks, Marco, for your answer too.)

>> -clienttimeout:          600
>> +clienttimeout:          1800
>
> Eh.  I've never had ctlinnd take anywhere near the timeout.

In the man page, it is written that "some newsreaders use the same
connection for reading and posting and don't deal well with the
connection timing out while a post is being composed.  If the
system isn't having a problem with too many long-lived connections,
it may be a good idea to increase this value to 3600 (an hour)."

>> -docnfsstat:             false
>> +docnfsstat:             true
>
> Well, you don't want to run it if you're not using cnfsstat, since it's
> pointless and just creates noise.  But we could have it exit if you have
> no CNFS buffers configured (it may even already do that).

I will check.

>> configure.ac
>> ------------
>>
>> -AC_CHECK_HEADERS(crypt.h inttypes.h limits.h ndbm.h pam/pam_appl.h stdbool.h \
>> +AC_CHECK_HEADERS(crypt.h inttypes.h limits.h pam/pam_appl.h stdbool.h \
>>                   stddef.h stdint.h string.h sys/bitypes.h sys/filio.h \
>>                   sys/loadavg.h sys/param.h sys/select.h sys/sysinfo.h \
>>                   sys/time.h unistd.h)
>>
>> Is it a good idea to commit that?
>
> Well, it is if you don't ever want to support ndbm.  I haven't used a
> system with ndbm for so long that I don't have any real opinion.

All right.  And I see that there are less files in CURRENT:

AC_CHECK_HEADERS([crypt.h inttypes.h limits.h pam/pam_appl.h stddef.h \
                  stdint.h string.h sys/bitypes.h sys/filio.h sys/loadavg.h \
                  sys/time.h unistd.h])

Some of the missing files are checked elsewhere but for instance sys/select.h
is not in configure.
I do not know whether it could be a problem.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Aequum est ut cuius participauit lucrum, participet et damnun. »