Some interesting stuff from PLD

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 10 14:50:17 UTC 2008

Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Hi,

Let me start by saying that I think the defaults should be conservative,
and let larger sites change things if they feel the need. Casual users
may not have a clue how to tune this, and there's no "right"
configuration, anyway.

> Manually browsing their CVS, I saw some patches which should perhaps
> be included in TRUNK:
>
> inn.conf
> --------
>
> -verifycancels:          false
> +verifycancels:          true

Bad idea, takes CPU and doesn't work well. Let anyone who thinks this
helps enable it.
> -allownewnews:           true
> +allownewnews:           false

Clients use it, it's now pretty fast. Mildly opposed to the change.
> -clienttimeout:          600
> +clienttimeout:          1800

I would leave this alone, clients generally handle timeout pretty well
these days, and running out of descriptors might be an issue.
> -innwatchspoolspace:     8000
> +innwatchspoolspace:     25000
>
> -nicekids:               4
> +nicekids:               0

If anyone is having nntpd start reader connections, this will tend to
drop the incoming article rate a lot. Having supported ISP-level load on
INN, I think more people should be running daemon mode nnrpd, but that's
just my opinion. This is generally a bad idea, leave the kids nice. If
CPU gets low slow readers is not as bad as losing articles.

> readers.conf
> ------------
>
>  auth "localhost" {
> -    hosts: "localhost, 127.0.0.1, stdin"
> +    hosts: "localhost, 127.0.0.1, ipv6-localhost, ::1, stdin"
>      default: "<localhost>"
>  }
>
> I think it should be committed for IPv6.

Where does ipv6-localhost come from? Just use ::1 perhaps.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still