Upgrade to INN 2.5 and history problem

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 15 14:38:34 UTC 2008

> He successfully managed to upgrade two news servers.  But the third does
> not work:  he tried twice and when he starts rc.news, he has:
>
>     May 15 02:43:19 news innd: can't ftello /var/news/db/history Value too large for defined data type

This is the generic error message returned by the dbz layer when it fails
to open a dbz database.  It may mean what it says, but it's also quite
possible that it's some entirely different problem.  The code explicitly
sets errno to EDOM.  (This should really be fixed with better error
handling at some point.)

A debugging build will enable a bunch of debugging output that will help
track down the problem.  Figuring it out short of that tends to be
annoying.  Make sure that all the regular history files are present and
that the history.dir file looks sane as a first step.

Also, could he possibly have used tagged hash before?  Trying to open a
tagged hash history database with an INN not built with tagged hash
support will explode.