perl filter & "standard" headers

Matija Nalis mnalis-ml at voyager.hr
Tue May 20 19:23:14 UTC 2008

Playing with INN perl filter, and trying to implement some nifty things, it
has come to my attention that INN passes only "standard" headers to perl
filter code in %hdr array.

Now, not wanting to dispute the standardness (after all, several 'X-'
headers are included in current code), I was wandering is there a special
reason (other than backwards compatibility) that following headers should
not be included in innd/innd.c ARTHEADERINIT() calls and thus available to
perl/python filtering code ?

Injection-Info
NNTP-Posting-Date
X-Complaints-To
Complaints-To
X-NoArchive
Cancel-Lock
X-Auth
X-Auth-Sender

They can be very useful, and at least some of them seem to be in widespread
use (thus being, if not "de jura", than at least "de facto" standard)

It should be rather trivial to include ARTHEADERINIT() calls for them unless
I'm overseeing some subtle code ? Also, any other suggestions for other
useful headers ? Would a (trivial, and tested of course) patch for adding
those be accepted ?

And/or maybe provide generic $hdr{__HEADERS__} (or $hdr{__ARTICLE__} if it
is easier) which would contain read-only string containing all headers (or
all headers+body) ? Little more complex to implement (and parse), but having
two major advantages:

1) including ALL headers
2) easy to detect functionality by filter (above, if $hdr{X-Complaints-To}
   is empty for example, it could be either because it is really missing
   from message, or because your inn is not recent enough)

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.