Million articles in a single directory

Maarten Thibaut mthibaut at cisco.com
Fri Nov 14 00:05:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

We have up to a million articles in some news groups. As they're all
stored in a single directory, our file system is grounding to a halt.
We would like to use some kind of mechanism whereby the different
files are stored in a tree structure, maybe like this:

First level: 256 dirs named dir.00 to dir.ff. Second level: each dir
has 256 dirs each named dir.00 to dir.ff. Each of those contains the
actual news articles. You then use a hash function to generate the
name of the file.

Would this be possible? If I wrote it, would you accept such a patch?

--
maarten