INN commit: trunk/doc/pod (news.pod)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 16 20:51:29 UTC 2008

> The binding was done just after the change of users.  However, I do not
> understand your remark on revision 7198 (April, 11th 2005):
>
>    Drop all of the ugly user switching and code for handling the -g option
>    from nnrpd.  If people need special permissions for ckpasswd -s, they now
>    need to set up ckpasswd accordingly, as described in the man page.  nnrpd
>    no longer looks at the ownership of pathrun or other strange things and
>    just switches to the news user if run as root.  Since it now uses innbind,
>    it can do this even in daemon mode before binding to a port.
>
> It seems that the code used to work.  But innbind's behaviour changed
> afterwards?  I just ask to be sure I have not broken something
> inadvertently with my change.

No, I just didn't anticipate, when I made that change, that people would
want to run nnrpd on non-standard ports and had been relying on the
previous ability to do so by running nnrpd as root.  Now that someone has
pointed that out, it's clearly a good idea to continue to support that.

The main purpose of that revision was to remove a bunch of other cruft;
the port binding comment was something of an afterthought.