INN commit: trunk/doc/pod (news.pod)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 27 05:35:43 UTC 2008

Re-adding the mailing list -- hope you don't mind.

Ray Banana <rayban at banana.shacknet.nu> writes:

>> While innbind is new in 2.5, this restriction was previously implemented
>> by inndstart, so I don't think it's really new.
>
> I think it is new as far as *nnrpd* is concerned.

nnrpd didn't use inndstart and hence had to be run as root in order to
bind to any port at all below 1024 prior to 2.5, so there shouldn't be any
new restriction in 2.5, just a new capability.  If the process is running
as root already, innbind isn't used.  Hm, although I haven't checked; if
nnrpd drops privileges before binding, there may be a bug here.  It needs
to bind before changing users.

> I used to compile INN --with-innd-port=433 in order to have innd use
> that port rather than 119 and run multiple nnrpd daemons on ports like
> 80, 443 etc. With INN 2.5 this does not work any more.

What specifically doesn't work?  In other words, what exactly do you run
and what error messages do you get?

This is supposed to work fine as long as you start nnrpd as root (which
would have been required for INN 2.4 as well).