OVER MSGID implementation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 5 18:54:09 UTC 2008

> I do not see overview functions which work without being in a group.
>
> Is there a better solution for OVER MSGID than:
>  * using the history to open the article whose message-ID is provided;
>  * getting its Xref: header and parsing it to get the *first* pattern
>    "news.group.name:123";
>  * using an OVopensearch() on the article 123 in news.group.name?

Not for INN, since we don't index overview by message ID.  We used to be
able to support this more easily with the old history format that gave
group and article numbers, but with the storage API and fixed-size history
entries, it's harder.

It's never been clear to me that this feature is worth implementing in
INN.