Overview data on rebuilding

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Sep 9 17:38:14 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

>> People will forget to use it and it will break the compliance of their
>> news server.  What could we do?  Change "-e" to *not* compute :bytes?
>> Remove "-e"?
>
> I'd be inclined to remove it and always force that behavior.

All right.  I will do that.

>> Note that overview rebuilding will be even more slower!
>
> Yeah.  :/  Probably not a *lot* slower in the common case, but yes.
>
> Yoy probably also want to double-check how makehistory is doing the byte
> counting.  It might not be doing what RFC 3977 says to do.

Already done yesterday (it was my revision 8021).
makehistory was not regenerating :lines by the way (always empty)
and :bytes was only art->len computed by storage methods so I had
to reparse the article in order to remove dot-stuffing and "-3" for
the final .CRLF, as well as counting lines.
That was why I thought it was going to be slower because we previously
did not have to parse the article.

I also fixed :bytes last week when innd generates it.

> It's not harmful, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.  However,
> we probably shouldn't be removing user-supplied headers even when they're
> wrong.  innd definitely should not do so, and nnrpd SHOULD NOT do so per
> USEPRO:

I do not know why it was done.  I hope it does not break something if we
leave them.
I know that OVER will not use it but "HDR Bytes" yes (contrary to "HDR :bytes").

Note that nnrpd does not but as it sends the article to innd... :-)

>        other headers.  It SHOULD NOT alter, delete, or reorder any
>        existing header field except the Path header field.

Only Path:?  What for Xref:?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Nous parlerons quand l'interprète dormira.
  [Bong !]
  -- Il dort. On peut parler. » (Astérix)