Authentication over SSL

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Sep 9 22:09:00 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

> It would be really neat to support something akin to Apache's
> ErrorDocument in general, to allow the local admin to specify the message
> to return for some of the status codes.

I think it can be done in Reply() since everything uses it (or almost everything,
because there are sometimes calls to Printf() with a capital letter).
Just parse a configuration file with the new syntax:

200: "My message in utf-8"
502: "Permission denied; ask <mail> to obtain an account"

and put this message, if available, instead of the arguments provided to Reply()
in case the first three digits match.

Nonetheless, we will lose the explicit messages I am trying to put for every answer...
For instance "501 Syntax error in message-ID", "501 Argument too long", "501 Syntax
error in keyword", "501 No whitespace allowed in password" (which is a good one this
one for "AUTHINFO PASS my password with spaces").
The same goes for 502 with more details about the permission ("read", "write", "ihave",
"newnews disabled", etc.).

Changing these messages will be very hard unless INN has an internationalization
system to localize sentences...

--
Julien ÉLIE

« If I don't document something, it's usually either for a good reason,
  or a bad reason. » (Larry Wall)