[inn-workers] Inn 2.4.5: Openssl error when using perl_access function

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Thu Sep 18 12:10:47 UTC 2008

Julien ÉLIE said the following on 9/17/08 1:59 PM:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
>>> And with nnrpd launched with that:
>>>
>>>     nnrpd -D -c /news/etc/readers2.conf -p 563 -S
>> Hrm. As user news, this line doesn't work.
>
> Oh, yes, you're quite right:  INN 2.4 cannot bind to port 563 as user news
> (contrary to INN 2.5 which can).
>
> In fact, I did my test with INN 2.4.5 on another port and this command
> works as user news:
>
> ./nnrpd -D -c /home/news/work/testserver/etc/readers-ssl.conf -p 5630 -S
>

> And I'm sorry I cannot reproduce your problem on my Linux (i686) with:
> libperl5.8 (5.8.8-7etch3)
> libssl0.9.8 (0.9.8c-4etch3)
>
> Maybe AIX is in cause (?)

Julien,
	Thank you so much for giving me a working data point. It turns out that
the problem was that the compiler for inn/openssl/perl needs to be
exactly the same. In this case perl was compiled with cc(AIX supplied),
openssl(built) was compiled with cc_r, and inn-2.4.5(built) was compiled
with cc_r. So two out of three was bad! So I rebuilt perl with cc_r and
guess what? No error!

AIX 5.3 ML8
vac.C 8.0.0.18
openssl 0.9.8i