SASL testing

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Sep 21 19:39:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

I think I have totally implemented RFC 4642 (TLS) and RFC 4643 (AUTHINFO)
on INN 2.5.  But please note that CAPABILITIES is still not advertised.

If there are people willing to test SASL, it would be great because I do
not know much about it.
I do not know how all the mechanisms work and what is needed for them.

news.trigofacile.com on port 119 (or 563 directly with SSL)

As far as I understand in the code source, only a username can be passed
to AUTHINFO SASL and is then checked towards users: in access groups.
No password?  So, hmm... I do not understand the use of it for privacy;
is it only to encrypt the connection?  Or maybe the username is a password?
(Still weird...)

This one is specially fast but I do not know on what it authenticates...

AUTHINFO SASL ANONYMOUS test
281 Authentication succeeded

Anyway, if you want to test, I have:

AUTHINFO USER SASL
SASL PLAIN NTLM LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 ANONYMOUS

If a security layer is negotiated, the state of the NNTP protocol is reset.
504 error code is normally correctly sent.

Please tell me if you notice errors or if you need login/password and where
I should put them.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Et vous allez reprendre votre bateau...
  Et, mergitur ou pas, fluctuat ! Compris ! Fluctuat ! » (Goudurix)