AUTHINFO SASL command length

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 23 17:29:31 UTC 2008

> In RFC 4634:
>
>   Syntax
>      AUTHINFO SASL mechanism [initial-response]
>
>   This command MAY exceed 512 octets.  The maximum length of this
>   command is increased to that which can accommodate the largest
>   encoded initial response possible for any of the SASL mechanisms
>   supported by the implementation.
>
> How can I find out the largest encoded initial response possible?
> I assume it depends on SASL libraries.

This was pure future-proofing and I'm fairly sure it doesn't apply to any
existing mechanisms.  In other words, I think we can safely ignore this
for now and come back to it as new SASL mechanisms are introduced, if
someone introduces one with a large initial response.

Given the restrictions in other protocols, I think this is probably
unlikely to happen.