Injection-Date and Injection-Info in nnrpd

Heiko Schlichting inn-workers at fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 6 16:58:12 UTC 2009

Julien wrote:
>   [IHAVE] differs from the POST command in that it is intended
>   for use in transferring already-posted articles between hosts.

This is usually true. But for "transferring already-posted articles between
hosts" people use innd and not nnrpd.

> It SHOULD NOT be used when the client is a personal news-reading program,
> [...]

Then IHAVE is not necessary in nnrpd at all. In fact, it was not
implemented for long time, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately people
use versions of Microsoft Exchange as NNTP client which always uses IHAVE
(instead of POST).

I don't see any reason why endusers should be handled different if they use
POST and IHAVE. With a trivial script it is possible for endusers posting
articles with IHAVE command in nnrpd and avoid insertion of Injection-...
headers.

Distinction between endusers (--> nnrpd) and feeding servers (--> innd)
makes more sense to me.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting          Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE     Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327   Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327   14195 Berlin