Case-insensitive parsing of <id-right> in message-IDs

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Dec 25 09:50:39 UTC 2009

Hi Russ,

>> Should we still go on using that "case-insensitive point" or could we
>> just drop the use of that function in INN 2.6?
>
> The problem is that all existing INN history databases have the
> case-insensitive version of the message-ID hashed, which means that if we
> just change this, the history database will no longer match articles with
> uppercase characters in the message ID that have already been received and
> we'll accept duplicate articles.
>
> I've wanted to remove this for a while, but I could never figure out a
> transition plan.

Couldn't we change the code of HashMessageID() to always return the
case-sensitive hash and, in case the given message-ID was found to
be case-insensitively parsed, we add a new entry to the history database
with the case-sensitive hash, if it does not exist yet, (with the same
information as the case-insensitive one) and we replace the case-insensitive
entry with NULL information so that is will be expired the next time
expire runs?

We have to check whether that behaviour can be done every time
the HashMessageID() is called.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Ce serait une joyeuse idée de faire une tempête dans nos cerveaux,
  n'est-il pas ?
  -- Il veut parler d'une réunion de dravail ! » (Astérix)