[INN] #4: Add encoding to checkgroups processing

Andrew A. Vasilyev andy at demos.su
Sat Feb 28 19:02:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:31:15AM +0100, Julien ??LIE wrote:
> Examples with koi8-r:
>
> fido7.angarsk.general Fidonet ANGARSK.GENERAL - Всё об Ангарске (Moderated)
> fido7.bocharoff.unplugged Fidonet BOCHAROFF.UNPLUGGED - Жизнь и творчество
> Олега Бочарова (Moderated)

  Looks good for me. No '??' here - I see all letters right.

> ukr.comp.hardware Проблеми апаратно╖ частини обчисювально╖ техн╕ки

  This one is in koi8-u, not -r (fir Ukranian language).

> Examples with cp1251:
>
> fido7.angarsk.general Fidonet ANGARSK.GENERAL - чУ?? ПВ бОЗБТУЛЕ (Moderated)
						    ^^
  Probably the wrong transcoding for Russian 'ё' (7-th letter in our alphabet).

> fido7.bocharoff.unplugged Fidonet BOCHAROFF.UNPLUGGED - цЙЪОШ Й ФЧПТЮЕУФЧП
> пМЕЗБ вПЮБТПЧБ (Moderated)

> ukr.comp.hardware рТПВМЕНЙ БРБТБФОП?? ЮБУФЙОЙ ПВЮЙУАЧБМШОП?? ФЕИО??ЛЙ

  Completely bogus result when converting this to koi8-r (my terminal charset).
  :((

> Do you confirm the three first descriptions are correct?
> (with "??" in koi8-r?)

  Two are good, the last is bad :-))

> cp1251 seems really bad for ukr.*!

  Yes.

> Here are the complete descriptions with koi8-r:
>    http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?see=FIDO7,UKR

  fido7.* seems good in koi8-r, and Ukranian groups (ukr.*) should be
  good in koi8-u :-))

  Thank you for your patience - we have an awful situation with national
  encoding, e.g. M$ Internet Explorer has 4 charsets for us :-))
________
	ANDY