MIME Distribution: headers

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu Jan 1 00:58:47 UTC 2009

Hi Russ,

First of all, happy new year to all the readers of this mailing-list.
May this year bring you happiness, health and prosperity!

>> However, my concern is with newsfeeds.  It handles distributions.  Does
>> it mean we have to do some sort of MIME decoding in order to implement
>> RFC 3977?
>
> No, I don't think so, at least unless we decide to do so with all
> configuration files.  The easy approach, and the reasonable one for now, I
> think, is to require that people who put non-ASCII distributions in
> newsfeeds use UTF-8.  (This is probably also worth a comment.)  Then the
> existing code, which does byte string comparisons, should just work.

But if I put in newsfeeds:

    news.server.org/cérémonie

how can it work when I send:

Headers are usually MIME-encoded in articles.

>> with the active.times file, I do not know what is the
>> best we can do in order to write the newsgroup creator's name in
>> UTF-8...
>
> I guess the other option would be to check
> the string we're about to write to be sure it's correctly formed UTF-8,
> and if it isn't, fail with an error instead of creating the group.

It sounds a reasonable thing to do.

> We probably need a general function to check for correctly formed UTF-8
> anyway.

OK.

--
Julien ÉLIE