tdx-util/expire question and overchan question

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 19 21:11:40 UTC 2009

> I do not think the active file knows about it.  It is the low water mark
> computed by tdx-util, isn't it?
>
> Because of:
>
>    -sh-3.00$ grep "de.comm.software.browser.misc" /var/lib/news/active
>    de.comm.software.browser.misc 0000001915 0000001913 y
>
>    GROUP de.comm.software.browser.misc
>    211 3 1913 1915 de.comm.software.browser.misc
>
> The first one is from the active file.  The second one from the overview.
> Both of them are 1913.  But tdx-util reports 1914.
>
> Isn't that what we can assume?

Oh, I was assuming that it got that information from the active file.
Actually, it gets that information from the index.  So this is an internal
inconsistency in the tradindexed data structures.  The group index has one
low water mark and article count, but the index table for that group is
missing that lowest article.

I'm still confused as to how this could happen.  What would remove an
index entry from the per-group index without updating the overall
tradindexed group.index file?