INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE and AC_PROG_*

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun May 17 09:18:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

We currently have in configure.ac:

AC_ARG_VAR([AWK], [Location of awk])
AC_ARG_VAR([EGREP], [Location of egrep])
AC_ARG_VAR([SED], [Location of sed])
AC_ARG_VAR([SORT], [Location of sort])
AC_ARG_VAR([SSLBIN], [Location of openssl])
AC_ARG_VAR([UUSTAT], [Location of uustat])
AC_ARG_VAR([UUX], [Location of uux])
INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE([AWK], [awk])
INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE([EGREP], [egrep])
INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE([SED], [sed])
INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE([SORT], [sort])
AC_PATH_PROGS([SSLBIN], [openssl], [openssl])
AC_PATH_PROGS([UUSTAT], [uustat])
AC_PATH_PROGS([UUX], [uux], [uux])
INN_PATH_COMPRESS
INN_PATH_SENDMAIL

I see that Autoconf recognizes:

AC_PROG_AWK
    Check for gawk, mawk, nawk, and awk, in that order, and set
    output variable AWK to the first one that is found.  It tries
    gawk first because that is reported to be the best implementation.

AC_PROG_EGREP
    Check whether $GREP -E works, or else look for the best available
    egrep or gegrep that accepts the longest input lines possible.
    Set the output variable EGREP to whatever is chosen.

AC_PROG_SED
    Set output variable SED to a Sed implementation that conforms to
    Posix and does not have arbitrary length limits.  Report an error
    if no acceptable Sed is found.  See Limitations of Usual Tools,
    for more information about portability problems with Sed.

Couldn't we use these three calls instead of INN_PATH_PROG_ENSURE?
I think it is OK for AWK and EGREP but I have concerns for SED
(configure might not set a value for it?).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Il a beaucoup de talents...
  -- Il est doué ?
  -- Non il est riche. Il a beaucoup de talents d'or. » (Astérix)