CURRENT branch

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed May 20 02:28:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> > *nod* Incidentally, do you have any idea why I was the only one to
> > notice corrupt XOVER responses because of this?  It seems like
> > violating the OVSTATICSEARCH contract would cause trouble more
> > frequently.
>
> [...]
>
> If you're not using Xref slaving at all, then the only thing I can think
> of is that you were running into cases where an article was delivered
> between the start of the search and the completion of it.  Which is a
> pretty tight race, so maybe you were just getting unlucky more (or had a
> slower system for some reason).

We're not using slaving at all.  The problems were all noted in a
relatively busy local-only newsgroup with >100 posts/day and ~5000
articles in spool.  XOVER does tend to be fairly slow on this group (we
have older hardware), especially with naive clients that like to refresh
the whole thing with every access, but it's still hard to explain the
frequency with which this was noted.

Oh well.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur