Use of cvtbatch

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 3 01:18:57 UTC 2009

> I wonder what kind of use is cvtbatch for.  Is someone here using it?

cvtbatch is used to generate a batch file for innxmit or some similar
program if all you have is a list of articles.  I think all the relevant
programs now accept a list of articles and figure out the message ID
internally anyway, so it's probably obsolete.  It's been essentially
unchanged other than adopting to INN's storage backends and coding
conventions since INN 1.0.

> It takes storage API tokens in entry and can give for each of them the
> size of the article headers (yes, only the headers) and the message-ID.
> (The arrival time is new in INN 2.5.2.)

That it gives only the size of the article headers is a bug.  The INN 1.0
version gave the size of the full article.  I suspect that the bug was
introduced when moving to the storage API and no one has noticed, which
probably answers your question about whether anyone is using it.