msync on Hurd, dev_t on MIPS

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Nov 3 19:27:45 UTC 2009

Hi Russ,

>> storage/libstorage.a(cnfs.o): In function `CNFSflushhead':
>> storage/cnfs/cnfs.c:214: warning: warning: msync is not implemented and will always fail
>
> I wonder if MMAP_NEEDS_MSYNC or MMAP_MISSES_WRITES are defined on Hurd.
> If so, this error message means that there will probably be some data
> corruption if someone runs innd on the Hurd.

I believe both of these variables are undefined on the Hurd:

https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=inn2;ver=2.5.1-1;arch=hurd-i386;stamp=1256745009

Automatic build of inn2_2.5.1-1 on rossini by sbuild/hurd-i386 98-farm

checking for working mmap... yes
checking for madvise... no
checking whether mmap sees writes... yes
checking whether msync is needed... no
checking how many arguments msync takes... 3

So finally, SysV shared memory on the Hurd and dev_t on MIPS do not seem
to be properly implemented and we cannot do anything for that.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Haec decies repetita placebit. » (Horace)