Merge of showtoken into sm?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 16 01:52:38 UTC 2009

>> Yeah, I've been wanting to do that for quite a while, but never had the
>> time to work on it.
>>
>> I suspect you'll need a new function in the storage API so that it can ask
>> each storage backend to take apart its own tokens and return the result.

> All right.

> Which means that we should keep a stand-alone program "showtoken" (but
> rewritten in C -- it seems easier than using XS) instead of integrating
> its function to "sm"?

No, I think integrating it into sm is a great idea.  I'm just saying that
currently showtoken embeds knowledge of each of the storage backends, and
it would be cleaner if that knowledge were instead in each storage backend
and sm just analyzed the generic parts of the token and passed along the
rest through a standard API to the relevant back end.  That way, if
someone implemented a new storage backend, they'd just have to implement
that API and sm displaying the token would immediately work for it.