compilation error on CURRENT-20100118

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 4 02:46:38 UTC 2010

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at isc.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote,

> } That looks like a bug in libtool on Mac OS X.  For some reason, it wants
> } the installation directory to exist before it can create the shared
> } library, even only in the build tree.
> }
> } I'm afraid I'm at a loss.  This is really weird behavior.

> Russ, thanks for your comment, and I just reported to Apple Bug Reporter.

Well, to mention (just for clarity), there are unfortunately two things
called libtool in play.  I'm not sure what the Apple libtool binary is,
which replaces things like ranlib.  It's kind of unfortunate that they
reused the same name.

The bug I mentioned is, I think, in the GNU Libtool package when coping
with Mac OS X systems, although I'm not sure that I'm interpreting things
correctly.

I'm surprised that we're having trouble, though, since other packages of
mine that build libraries don't seem to have any trouble building on Mac
OS X, and I don't think INN is doing anything that weird.