Environment variable $U

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Feb 9 07:08:06 UTC 2010

Hi Heiko,

> I can't see any reason what value of $U could be useful here except empty
> or undefined. This might be a problem of autoconf but INN could define $U
> to "" in Makefile.global as a workaround.

I reported it to Autoconf and received the following answer from
Ralf Wildenhues:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2010-02/threads.html

    The $U variable is/was used by Autoconf/Automake for support of pre-ANSI
    compilers, with the output of ansi2knr of foo.c being foo_.c and $U
    being '_'.  This feature should still work, but it is not really needed
    any more, as virtually all systems in use provide a compiler that
    understands prototypes.

    Sounds like a bug to me, $U should be initialized somewhere, or removed
    from the LIBOBJS/LTLIBOBJS variables if ansi2knr is not used.  Or we
    could also go ahead and remove ansi2knr support (after deprecating it
    suitably).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le travail n'est pas une bonne chose. Si ça l'était,
  les riches l'auraient accaparé. »