Environment variable $U

Eric Blake ebb9 at byu.net
Wed Feb 10 13:49:02 UTC 2010

[re-adding autoconf-patches]

According to Julien ÉLIE on 2/9/2010 11:57 AM:
>> Aha.  In many projects, U _is_ initialized, but by automake during
>> AM_C_PROTOTYPES, and not by autoconf.  IIUC, the problem can only
>> occur if
>> you are using autoconf but not automake.
>
> OK, it is true that INN uses autoconf only.
>
> I see that you credit me as the reporter.  Could you please credit
> Heiko Schlichting instead?  He is the real person who found out the
> problem.

Not a problem.  I've pushed the patch with the updated attribution, with
this ChangeLog entry:

2010-02-10  Eric Blake  <ebb9 at byu.net>

	Avoid uninitialized use of $U.
	* lib/autoconf/general.m4 (_AC_LIBOBJS_NORMALIZE): Ensure $U is
	set if automake did not define it.
	* THANKS: Update.
	Reported by Heiko Schlichting, via Julien Élie.

Eric Blake             ebb9 at byu.net