Tradindexed cache entries

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Feb 21 19:13:22 UTC 2010

> This night, tradindexed started complaining with:
> Feb 21 02:54:46 news innd: tradindexed: unable to find oldest cache entry

> This error is logged by tdx_cache_insert when it does not find
> the oldest entry.
> I do not know why the entry suddenly became unavailable :-/

It means that innd thought the cache was empty.  But I'm not sure how it
ended up in that situation.

> Anyway, I ran tdx-util and fixed errors of incorrect counts in two
> newsgroups and newsgroups no longer present in the active file.
> After that, the error stopped appearing.  Instead, I had:
> Feb 21 10:14:49 news innd: tradindexed: cannot open
> /home/news/spool/overview/f/s/e/fr.sci.electronique.DAT: Trop de fichiers
> ouverts
> Feb 21 10:14:49 news innd: SERVER cant store overview for
> @030346523200000000000029D7B100000002@

This would be consistent with somehow leaking cache entries and their
corresponding open file descriptors until you run out of available system
open file descriptors.  But it's kind of mystifying how you could end up
in that situation.

Running lsof on innd to see what files it has open when this happens would
be interesting.  It would at least confirm if it's overview entries that
are being leaked.