innconval and ORGANIZATION

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 9 17:55:37 UTC 2010

> According to the innconfval documentation:

>   String parameters that are set to NULL will be mapped to empty
>   strings.  List values will be mapped to an array of strings.

> I do not know what is the best thing to do.
> I would like to change how innconfval behaves so that it does not
> set NULL strings/lists to empty strings/lists.

[...]

> The only question is:  do people actually use the empty strings/lists
> returned by innconfval?  I do not think they are really interesting...

In shell, a variable that isn't set is equivalent to the empty string
anyway, so this is the right thing to do for shell.

For Perl, one would get warnings about undefined variables as you mention.
I think that's okay.  Those warnings are useful information for the user,
and NULL should really translate into undef rather than the empty string
anyway.

> I think that's OK to proceed with the change.
> Any complaints about it?

Looks like the right fix to me.