make tags / make ctags broken

Florian Schlichting fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Jun 30 13:43:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just noticed that the 'tags' and 'ctags' make targets are broken. The
root Makefile wants to iterate over $(ALLDIRS) and can't find the
targets in the following sub-Makefiles:

control/Makefile
innfeed/Makefile -- has tags but not ctags target
perl/Makefile
samples/Makefile
scripts/Makefile

In order for 'make ctags' to not error out, tags and ctags targets would
at least have to exist empty, as in doc/Makefile.

Another thing is that Makefile.global.in defines the CTAGS command as
"ctags -t -w", using old UNIX ctags option names that more current
implementations such as vim's exuberant-ctags (GNU ctags) don't
understand. Then again with exuberant-ctags I can just do "ctags -R"
once and don't necessarily need the make infrastructure to lift the
burden of executing a command in every source directory.

So I don't know if it's better to fix or remove the whole thing, but I
thought I'd say that it's broken the way it is now...

Florian