Recovering local articles that are not visible

Nick Giles nick.giles at ontology.com
Mon Mar 15 18:08:07 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to recover some articles which have been lost by our
installation of inn. Our server is an internal only setup, so just a few
local groups. We had a power cut a couple of days ago, and now one of
the groups is reporting 'Bad article number' for all its (old) articles.
I've had a poke around, and the articles are in the 'articles' folder
area, and there are entries in the overview .DAT file that correspond.
The 'active' file had its maxindex reset to 001, when it should have
been 009 (yeah, not a huge group...)

My feeling is that the articles are just missing from some index, but
now I've run into a bit of a brick wall of understanding. Which of the
various databases / indexes do I need to update, and how do I do that?
Is it the .IDX file for the group, and is there a way to rebuild the
content of that from the content of the 'articles' directory?

Not knowing quite how to phrase the question has also resulted in some
frustrating web search attempts...

Thanks in advance,

Nick