Restoring the content of a previous server

Florian Schlichting fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Tue Mar 30 12:15:47 UTC 2010

Hi Rene,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:21:50AM +0200, Rene Tschaggelar wrote:
> As from the INN-faq, I tried to restore the content
> of a previous server. While
> makehistory -O did something, the
> makedbz -s 'wc -l < history' - o didn't work.

makedbz will rebuild $PATHDB/history.{dir|hash|index}. If there's
anything in the history, that is

> /news/db/ is in place with news/db/active reset to the
>           usual content from the many tries.
> /news/spool/ is also in place with /news/spool/articles
>           containing the lot
> /news/spool/overview/ appears to be fine
>
> but apparently the offered groups are just those
> contained in the /news/db/active - far too few.

the groups offered are directly taken from the active file. Add them
there, and your newsreader will see them

> Now it appears as if I should move the essence of
> /news/spool/articles to /news/db/active
> If it wasn't for the numbers, I could edit it.

with innd/nnrpd shut down, you can just edit it. I think you can use all-zeroes
for the numbers, and 'ctlinnd renumber' will then update them to their
correct value, I believe.

Regards,
Florian