Filters and multiple occurrences of headers

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Thu May 20 15:23:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

A few Netnews header fields can occur more than once in headers.

HDR is supposed to return the first occurrence.
(Probably the same for OVER.)

Yet, our filters keep the last occurrence of them.

  http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/hook-perl.html

    "If any of the headers are duplicated, though, %hdr will contain
    only the value of the last occurrence of the header."

Shouldn't it be better to keep the first occurrence?
Are there people relying on the behaviour of keeping the last
occurrence?

Note:  I will soon have a look at how our overview deals with
duplicated headers in INN.  With INN 2.5.2, it returns an empty
header when it appears more than once!  Both for OVER and HDR
using overview.
HDR works only when directly searching inside an article,
and not the overview data.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Je suis adroit de la main gauche et je suis gauche de la main droite. »
  (Raymond Devos)