expire does not purge junk group

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon May 24 09:04:33 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

>>> I then tried to blow these 200 articles from the history-file by feeding
>>>
>>> /remember/:0
>>> junk:A:0:0:0
>>>
>>> into expire, also to no avail, the stuff is still lingering around. I
>>> acknowledge junk is some sort of pseudo-group, but supplying the "true"
>>> group name didn't help. And yes, groupbaseexpiry is set to true.
>>
>> Strange.
>> And the articles are still present in the history? Mentioned by
>> grephistory when using their message-ID?
>
> And this is what is apparently also a bit unexpected for you. My
> understanding is that the above entry in expire.ctl shall expire all
> articles in junk and forget about their very existence immediately. I
> have restarted innd after I changed expire.ctl, and I ran expire -N
> immediately after the restart. Refeeding the junked articles
>
> And yes, they're apparently still lingering in the history:
>
> highscreen [23:03] [~] <# 54> grephistory 4B13D536.3020006 at ryand.net
> @030261320000000000000004D06B00000005@
>
> I mean, it's not a big thing, but I don't think it behaves as it should.

I have been experimenting that on INN 2.5.2 and I do not see any issue.

expire.ctl:

junk:A:0:0:0

inn.conf:

wanttrash: true

I do not have fr.test.wanttrash.junk on my news server.  The articles
arrives into junk.

In junk:

ARTICLE 98
220 98 <hk14thtirddf$7m1$1testing at news.trigofacile.com> article
From: =?iso-8859-15?Q?Julien_=C9LIE?= <iulius at nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: fr.test.wanttrash.junk
Subject: test
Date: Sat, 23 May 2010 12:23:27 +0100

test
.

% grephistory -l '<hk14thtirddf$7m1$1testing at news.trigofacile.com>'
[44F0E6C211D2CE254F9BA23EEEBD75D1]      1274607310~-~1274613807 @030A41555452453100000000ABF400000002@
% sm -c '@030A41555452453100000000ABF400000002@'
@030A41555452453100000000ABF400000002@ method=cnfs class=10 buffer=AUTRE1 block=44020 blocksize=512 cycnum=2
file=/home/news/spool/cycbuffs/autrecnfs

OK, it is in one of my CNFS buffers.

I have in my crontab:

15 4    * * *   news    test -x /home/news/bin/news.daily && news.daily expireover lowmark delayrm expireoverflags='-N'
flags='-N -v1'

Note the "-N" flags for expire and expireover.

Then, the following day, that is to say after news.daily has run (expireover + renumber + expirerm + expire), I do not see the
message any longer:

% grephistory '<hk14thtirddf$7m1$1testing at news.trigofacile.com>'
/dev/null

GROUP junk
211 0 99 98 junk

My junk group is totally empty, and the message-ID is now only *remembered*
(/dev/null -> which means the message-ID is known but there is no storage API
token associated to it).

It is different than the behaviour you have (you do see a storage API token).
Now, if I change my /remember/ line to 0, it will totally disappear.

> I am running inn 2.4.1. Is anyone prepared to help me here byond
> "upgrade to inn 5.x"?

Do you use the right flags to expireover and expire?

I'm sorry I cannot reproduce your issue on INN 2.5.2.  Maybe INN 2.4.1 has
a bug here, I don't know (after having quickly looked at our changelog, but
I may have not looked at the right place!).
So, well... you could try to do on INN 2.4.1 the same things I did on
INN 2.5.2 or... "upgrage to INN 2.5.x" :-)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Ce serait un tunnel pour aller de la Gaule en Bretagne. » (Astérix)