tests/overview/xref.t failing

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Sep 25 08:47:31 UTC 2010

Hi Wim,

> Running 'make test', I find that xref.t is failing (tests 20-27 and 29-32). Looking at the code, I think the problem is that the
> overview IDX
> files aren't being re-read after an article is written to them--- the failing tests are the places where a stored overview line is
> read back to check that it was stored correctly, except for the first time each group is read (tests 2-5, 11-18) and when the high
> water mark is advanced (7-10), which work correctly.
>
> I don't see a mechanism in the code for the files to be refreshed except in the case that the high water mark has been advanced,
> so I'm not sure what the proper fix is.

Did you try to modify the code to refresh the overview files in all cases
(even when the high water mark has not advanced)?
Is the xref.t test working file with that change?

Maybe that change should be done when MMAP_MISSES_WRITES is set (?)

> On systems which don't have MMAP_MISSES_WRITES,
> perhaps the underlying write shows up automatically?

Probably.  The test works fine on systems that see writes.

Did you notice, on real use, problems with your overview and accessing
articles?  As the high water mark is always increased, you should not
worry... unless you are in an Xref slave mode...

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Si Dieu n'est pas marié, pourquoi parle-t-on de sa grande Clémence ? »
  (Raymond Devos)