innd and rejects of dates

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:45:30 UTC 2010

Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery writes ("Re: innd and rejects of dates"):

>> Nothing.  Injection-Date should be signed when issuing control messages
>> as well, but that gets tricky since the posting agent isn't supposed to
>> provide one.  I suspect what that means is that control message
>> processing software should impose a Date cutoff regardless of
>> Injection-Date.

> Control message processing software doesn't know the server's history
> expiry date, or Date acceptance threshold, directly.  So that would
> would be yet another knob to have set incorrectly ...

It does on INN; that information is available to controlchan.  But I agree
that the real fix is to sign Injection-Date as well.  There's just a lot
of software out there that does need to change.

I wish we'd thought of that during USEFOR, but the various signing
protocols were out of scope because we didn't have enough resources.