(START)TLS between servers?

Adam Sjøgren asjo at koldfront.dk
Sat Apr 2 18:29:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:48:48 +0100, Julien wrote:

>> The next thing I would like is to use TLS when talking to my peers.

>> Is that possible?

> Unfortunately, I do not believe that a news server currently supports
> the STARTTLS command for its transit mode.
> It is commonly used as a feature for the reader mode.

Yes, that was why I thought it would be nice to extend to server-server
connections - if both servers support it, it would work automatically,
exactly as in the client-server situation.

And since INN does support STARTTLS when clients connect, it might not
be a big change to support it when servers do?

I admit I haven't looked at the code, I was just asking to learn if I
had overlooked something and it was already there.

[...]

> The best and usual way, if you need encryption, is to set up a
> *stunnel* between the two peers.

Why is that the best?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Shining for the sun is what we do"                          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo at koldfront.dk