Case-insensitive parsing of <id-right> in message-IDs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 5 20:56:43 UTC 2011

> I am answering to an old message (December 2009) because someone has
> just asked me why his 'XPAT References' calls are failing when the
> message-ID that he looks up contains uppercase characters.  He notes
> that when replacing the uppercase chars with '*', INN finds the article.

That's weird.  The hash case insensitivity shouldn't be causing that.

> A suggestion:

>   - make INN 2.6.0 use case-sensitive hashes;

>   - provide a script that retrieves every token (from the history file),
> parses the related article to find out its message-ID, and does the
> relevant actions if it contains uppercase characters:  run prunehistory on
> the wrong message-ID and run ctlinnd addhist with the appropriate
> arguments (in particular, the right message-ID);

>   - ask in our release notes to run this script once, right after the
> upgrade or after a run of news.daily.

That's a good idea.  You could just run that script directly in
innupgrade, even.

> Maybe the actions could also be integrated in expire, and therefore
> directly writing the new history file in the right format.  We should
> find a way to do the check only once, though.  Maybe by putting an
> "expire.dohistconvertcase" file in pathlog at the end of a make
> update. If present, expire does that and removes the file.

Oh, possibly even a better idea.  Yes, I like that.

> Yet, it will do that after every update.  Perhaps not a big deal for
> official releases.  It is more problematic for people who frequently
> update from STABLE or CURRENT.

Maybe we can store somewhere in the database that we've done the upgrade?
Really, ideally, we should have some sort of database version number that
can indicate things like this.