cant store article: bogus Xref: header in INN 2.5 ?

Matija Nalis mnalis-ml at voyager.hr
Wed Aug 31 15:42:50 UTC 2011

After upgrade from Debian Lenny (running for years 2.4.6-snapshot-20090119
without problems) to Debian Squeeze (with stock Debian inn2 2.5.2-2~squeeze1)
I'm getting following errors in my log file on upgraded machine several
times a day:

Aug 30 05:52:54 news2 innd: SERVER bad_format newsfeed.CARNet.hr
Aug 30 05:52:54 news2 innd: SERVER cant store article: bogus Xref: header
Aug 30 09:25:03 news2 innd: SERVER bad_format newsfeed.CARNet.hr
Aug 30 09:25:03 news2 innd: SERVER cant store article: bogus Xref: header

That upgraded machine (news2) is running as Xrefslave to another
machine (called newsfeed, which is still on Lenny with
inn2 2.4.6-snapshot-20090119)

correlating to /var/log/news, upgraded machine says:
Aug 31 03:14:37.637 - newsfeed.carnet.hr <fe278512-d9d1-4b46-976a-1cf252417112 at g30g2000vbu.googlegroups.com> 403 cant store article

now, if i go to the newsfeed (which feeds upgraded machine) and do:
sm `grephistory '<fe278512-d9d1-4b46-976a-1cf252417112 at g30g2000vbu.googlegroups.com>'` | grep Xref

I get:

Note the two spaces after "Xref:". As some other random OK messages I
looked at give just one space after "Xref:", so that might be the cause.
Why it happens so sporadically I don't know...

I might have lived with that until I decide to upgrade newsfeed
(after this one shows rock stable), however today it got worse on
my upgraded machine:

Aug 31 12:00:53 news2 innd: SERVER bad_format newsfeed.CARNet.hr
Aug 31 12:00:53 news2 innd: SERVER throttle Interrupted system call writing SMstore file -- throttling
Aug 31 12:00:53 news2 innd: SERVER cant store article: bogus Xref: header

and now it's throttled and not accepting any new articles:

news2% ctlinnd mode
Server throttled Interrupted system call writing SMstore file -- throttling
Allowing remote connections
Parameters c 10 i 50 (0) l 2000000 o 1011 t 300 H 2 T 60 X 0 slave specified
Not reserved
Readers independent enabled
Perl filtering enabled

As it happened the same second, throttling looks suspiciously related
to Xref header thingy.

any ideas?

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.