newbie question: state of the art/practice for private newsgroups?

Raphaël Barrois raphael.barrois at xelmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:51:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm using this kind of setup on my personal server (without replication, but I
never felt the need for it).

I'm using innd, and have set up my readers.conf to read a custom Python script
which looks up into my LDAP and reads some custom group fields there.

I'm using kerberos for authentication, but not in the usual way: the NNTP
password is sent in plain text (through SSL) by the client to the server,
which checks it server side ; I couldn't find a client with kerberos support
available.

This setup works well with various NNTP clients (thunderbird, knode, windows
mail, ...), and with several hundreds of clients and groups.

I'm not using anything for message signing, but I think this could work as
well ; I don't have any web interface setup, but I know of some existing
library which might be helpful here:
http://git.polytechnique.org/?p=banana.git

I can send you my current scripts as well (I don't have access to them right
now).

--
Raphaël